northernbase
Nuevo miembro
Hello everyone,
I'm 34 years old, from the UK, and currently live in Bilbao with my wife and daughter. I'm seriously considering changing careers and training to be an electrician here in Spain.
My main concern is my level of Spanish. I'd say I'm currently at a level between A2 and B1. I can communicate and manage in everyday situations, but I understand that technical vocabulary, following classes, understanding regulations, and communicating with colleagues, companies, or clients would be a completely different matter.
That's why I'd like to know to what extent it would be realistic to do so.
Do you think I would have many difficulties completing a vocational training course or some other type of professional education in Spanish? And, assuming I manage to finish the training, would it be difficult to find a job because I don't yet speak Spanish fluently?
I understand that improving my Spanish is essential and I'm willing to work hard on it while I train. I'm also prepared to start from the bottom, do internships, accept an entry-level position, and adapt as needed.
I'm not looking for just a "go ahead" to be positive. I'd like to receive honest and realistic opinions from electricians, professionals in other trades, business owners, or people who changed careers and trained in Spain as adults.
Above all, I would like to know:
What difficulty would a vocational training course in electricity present with an A2/B1 level of Spanish?
How important is it to speak fluent Spanish to start working as an electrician?
Would being 34 years old pose any problems when it comes to finding my first job in the sector?
Is it realistic to get a job without prior experience as an electrician?
Do you think electrical work is a good profession to work in in the Basque Country?
Are there any specific training or qualifications you would recommend?
Would it be better to improve my Spanish significantly before starting the training, or to start the training and improve my Spanish at the same time?
I don't expect it to be easy, and I'm prepared to put in the effort. What I'm trying to figure out is whether there are any significant obstacles I might not be considering, especially since I would have to do it in a second language.
Any experience or honest advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
I'm 34 years old, from the UK, and currently live in Bilbao with my wife and daughter. I'm seriously considering changing careers and training to be an electrician here in Spain.
My main concern is my level of Spanish. I'd say I'm currently at a level between A2 and B1. I can communicate and manage in everyday situations, but I understand that technical vocabulary, following classes, understanding regulations, and communicating with colleagues, companies, or clients would be a completely different matter.
That's why I'd like to know to what extent it would be realistic to do so.
Do you think I would have many difficulties completing a vocational training course or some other type of professional education in Spanish? And, assuming I manage to finish the training, would it be difficult to find a job because I don't yet speak Spanish fluently?
I understand that improving my Spanish is essential and I'm willing to work hard on it while I train. I'm also prepared to start from the bottom, do internships, accept an entry-level position, and adapt as needed.
I'm not looking for just a "go ahead" to be positive. I'd like to receive honest and realistic opinions from electricians, professionals in other trades, business owners, or people who changed careers and trained in Spain as adults.
Above all, I would like to know:
What difficulty would a vocational training course in electricity present with an A2/B1 level of Spanish?
How important is it to speak fluent Spanish to start working as an electrician?
Would being 34 years old pose any problems when it comes to finding my first job in the sector?
Is it realistic to get a job without prior experience as an electrician?
Do you think electrical work is a good profession to work in in the Basque Country?
Are there any specific training or qualifications you would recommend?
Would it be better to improve my Spanish significantly before starting the training, or to start the training and improve my Spanish at the same time?
I don't expect it to be easy, and I'm prepared to put in the effort. What I'm trying to figure out is whether there are any significant obstacles I might not be considering, especially since I would have to do it in a second language.
Any experience or honest advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!